POSITION: Kiwanis Garden – Procurement Program Assistant
SUPERVISOR: WDC Operations Manager
SUMMARY JOB DESCRIPTION:
This position will work closely with and support all aspects of the Kiwanis garden under the Procurement Program at our Warehouse. This staff member will play a key role in supporting staff and volunteers in hunger relief by increasing food access, quality and quantity.
Under supervision, and appropriate training they will see produce from soil to food bank delivery.
Orientation, training, and a tour of all Thurston County Food Bank buildings and gardens to support understanding of our organization’s programs, culture, values, and ethics.
Site-specific training at buildings & gardens to understand all aspects of procurement processes including equipment training, safety protocols, communication, and understanding of roles of staff.
April through June @ 32 hours/wk
July through September @ 20 hours/wk
August through October @ 20 hours/wk
- Assist farm program lead with farm plan, equipment maintenance, propagation, soil prep, field seeding, planting, harvesting, cover cropping, field maintenance, produce delivery, and data entry.
- Assist with managing farm volunteers.
- Deliver produce to Food Bank buildings.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to interpret and carry out Federal, State, and local program standards
- Ability to understand and apply the philosophy and mission of the Thurston County Food Bank.
- Ability to maintain flexible work hours to accommodate meeting schedules, staff training, and other or agency-related activities.
- Knowledge of the needs of our client base.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs throughout the day
- Ability to stand for 5 to 7 per day
- Computer literacy includes the use of word processing, database, and spreadsheet software.
- Washington State Driver’s License and reliable transportation to be used on the job.
- Food Handler’s permit or ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment.
Salary & Benefits:
$22.63/hour starting wage, $22.63 – $27.57 full salary range (svc yr based), 32 hours/week April – June and 20 hours/week July – Sept. These positions are not benefits eligible.
Proof of COVID-19
vaccination is required prior to employment. As a public health non-profit that receives funding from several state agencies, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to
vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
Work Location: These positions will report to the Tumwater Warehouse Distribution Center Warehouse located at 2260 Mottman Rd SW, Tumwater WA 98512.